Marriott Manager, Innovation Culinary in Bethesda, Maryland
Marriott International is the world s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Manager, Culinary Innovation is part of the Global Operations (GO) department, which is known for taking ideas intimplementation across all brands, disciplines, and continents. This Manager is member of the Food and Beverage, Innovation team.
This role s main objective is toptimize the culinary experience across all brands, by implementing culinary execution through creative and functional development of culinary products, systems, innovation, and communication. The Manager has a passion for culinary and pastry arts experiences and is part of the process of culinary development and enhancement, by creating new platforms and services, including evolving existing products and concepts. This role collaborates with cross-functional project teams tdesign and refine new and existing concepts tcontinually improve adoption and overall F&B quality.
The core accountabilities for this role are:
- Visual Culinary development for projects and programs across all brand segments.
- Documentation, writing and editorial development of implementation materials.
- Strategy translation intclearly understood operational programs and platforms.
Education and Experience Preferred
- Culinary Science or other related area or graduation from a Culinary Apprenticeship System or Technical Culinary School; or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired
- 4 years experience as a culinary department leader managing a culturally diverse workforce
- A.C.F. Certified (or international equivalent)
- Active membership in Culinary Society or related trade organization
- Prior experience in Culinary or Food publishing, styling, or professional food photography
- Prior experience in test kitchen development and documentation
- Elevated operations knowledge and culinary creativity
- Ability tdiscern color, taste, and texture
- Pastry and Savory culinary knowledge and practical experience
- Experience with all aspects of foods, food preparation techniques, and food presentation
- Experience introducing and implementing creative concepts and ideas, as well as concept through final delivery in the F&B space
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written skills; attention tdetail
- Tech savvy with working knowledge of one or more of the following: InDesign, Photoshop, Articulate Storyline, photography or videography
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Work, Designs & Development
- Translates requirements intcompelling customer driven and profitable product or service solutions
- Delivers high quality design solutions and tailor global products and services
- Takes a concept from initial idea all the way through ta production ready product or service
- Builds exceptional models, polished visuals, frameworks, storyboards and prototypes as needed tbest serve the project
Supports innovation, incremental tdisruptive, efforts as part of any center-led discipline, and supports Brand Segment leads and Continent leaders in F&B program development
- Supports concept, design, operations and program development efforts for hotel-based F&B projects
- Collaborates in small and large multi-disciplinary project teams tbuild products and service that are beneficial tthe company and tguests
- Meets project commitments, dates and deliverables
- Uses systematic processes tsolve design challenges
- Understands and navigates technical constraints and opportunities
- Creates new and improved features that add value, being a thoughtful voice for the guest experience
- Defines requirements while simultaneously designs those requirements
- Gives and takes constructive feedback timprove designs and the development process
- Serves as a resource tassociates within and outside of Global Operations around Design thinking principles
- Facilitates disruptive innovation work in conjunction with internal/external consultants tchallenge existing norms
- Participates in the building, the documenting and the tracking of proof of concept (prototype) activities, adjusts as necessary
- Identifies opportunities and proposes solutions for continuous process improvement
- Researches new technology, tools and F&B related equipment and services
- Builds relationship and collaborates in the work of external consultant
Discipline / Brand / Continent Leadership and Collaboration
- Demonstrates leadership, maturity and efficiency when managing projects across multiple stakeholders in high pressure environments
- Provides regular updates and communicates project or initiative progress clearly and effectively tkeep leaders aware and aligned relative tproject progress
- Effectively manages multiple, complex projects which may originate from Discipline, Brand and Continent, balancing focus, capacity and resourcing tdeliver against expectations
- Works effectively with multiple stakeholders across Discipline / Brand / Continent tbuild productive relationships and maximize successful outcomes
- Understands industry trends underway and their implications for the F&B discipline and our brands
- Applies innovation principles and practices around collaboration, co-creation and creativity tdeliver expansive ideas and operational solutions
- Demonstrates confidence and leadership in bringing new, provocative ideas forward which expand thinking and lead tmore innovative outcomes which drive relevance and returns
- Demonstrates creativity in problem-solving, content development, program branding and communication tensure relevant, emotionally engaging F&B programs
- Leads and learns constantly through collaborating with team members within and beyond the team, and within and beyond the hospitality segment
- Unafraid ttry new approaches and ideas, leveraging innovation processes and design thinking tdrive experimentation, fast failure and constant learning
- Adaptability Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication Conveys information and ideas tothers in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources tdraw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
- Building and Contributing tTeams - Participates as a member of a team tmove toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Strategy Execution - Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed tmaximize customer satisfaction, profitability and market shares through effective planning, organizing and on-going evaluation processes.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources requiered tset a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements taccomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company s service standards.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences tdrive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity tcontribute ttheir full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes tbest fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides support and feedback thelp individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed taccomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities timprove performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information tmanage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions tapproach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area tconduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions tapproach function-specific work challenges.
- Culinary food styling and trend awareness
- Culinary foundational and technical skill proficiency
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one tsolve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens tand understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Job: Rooms and Guest Services Operations
Requisition ID: 17001IHK