Marriott Director, Global Sales Paris in Paris, France
The role of the Director, Global Sales Paris is to maintain effective financial performance by ensuring that profitable sales are generated and operational controls are in place within a sales engine of the Global Sales Organization (GSO).
The position provides leadership and management oversight to sales professionals whose activities are specifically focused on area(s) such as a business segment, unique revenue stream, customized client support or specific geographic area. Considered a specialist in a given functional area, this position provides direction and support to the sales team in the implementation of sales strategies to achieve assigned revenue targets.
The position also assists GSO Leadership in ensuring sales efforts and resources are aligned with the overall GSO Mission and Vision, and that the department business plan is being executed effectively.
The role of the Director, Global Sales Paris is to support the GSO vision and mission by providing business support and operational excellence to a team of GSO Sales Professionals. In addition, the position directs and leverages Marriott resources to support the achievement of revenue targets and financial performance. This position is also responsible for leading and directing a specific sales team in the processes of strategic account management and team-based sales.
- Advises and sets business development strategy
- Oversight of departmental budget
- Manages a staff of sales managers and/or sales support staff.
Position is located in Paris, France
Education and Experience Preferred
- Strong preference for candidate with Starwood experience
- 8 years sales and marketing experience.
- Team management experience strongly preferred.
- Has validated experience recognized as an expert in specific business segment(s), functional area(s), and/or geographical area(s).
- Excellent professional relationships with the main influencers within their area of expertise.
- Strong preference for candidate who speaks English and Dutch.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
Strategic Account Management
- Act as customer advocate by understanding GSO customer s requirements, expectations and needs; removes barriers to business solution development.
- Develops relationships with outside vendors and strategic partners in an effort to expand exposure of Marriott brands to internal and external customers.
- Pursues opportunities to capitalize on strengths and market conditions, and to counter competitive threats.
- Stays abreast of developments in the areas of Strategic Account Management and Team-Based Sales in order to provide relevant direction.
- Determines ROI on sales opportunities.
- Assists GSO Leadership in developing overall business strategies for the department; reviews and manages controllable expenses as appropriate.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of legal issues within industry.
- Directs regular reporting activities associated with account tracking, spending data, department revenue, profitability analysis, etc.
- Ensures effective measurements of process and outcomes of business and account plans.
- Oversees the use and maintenance of internal systems.
- Positioned as the Subject Matter Expert in matters related to the specific area of expertise.
- Prepares for and facilitates productive meetings.
- Responsible for facilities/office management as needed.
- Supports operating budgets and sales targets to support the GSO business plan.
- Works with Revenue Management and other Functional Areas to assist in the development of business segment, revenue stream and/or geographical area sales strategies.
- Acts as project manager for ad hoc or recurring needs of the department, responsible for satisfactory and timely delivery of outcome.
- Demonstrates a solid, working knowledge of the functional area business , and leveraging this to provide maximum profitability for Marriott.
- Establishes guidelines for, measures, monitors and evaluates Marriott and GSO processes, policies and procedures.
- Orchestrates departmental resources across organizational boundaries to create cross-functional business-to-business relationships.
- Positioned as a knowledge provider in matters of industry and business to their clients and their internal constituents.
- Supports accomplishment of department and its account initiatives through active participation in issue resolution.
Market Integration & Leadership
- Assists people from diverse cultures and backgrounds to effectively contribute and succeed in the GSO and its cross-functional teams.
- Develops strong working relationships to maximize Marriott benefits, advising on issues relative to customer/segment/geographical needs and proactively developing strategies that complement market-based initiatives.
- Establishes and maintains an active role within industry organizations.
- Maintains an influential presence among customers and internal constituents by providing education and training to both audiences across a wide range of relevant industry, business and/or geographical interests.
- Provides effective orientation and training on GSO for new market/field associates.
- Supports Marriott culture based on shared values of associate and customer satisfaction.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of associates.
- Ensures regular on-going communication is happening in all areas of responsibility to create awareness of business objectives, communicate expectations, recognize performance and produce desired business results.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with associates and ensures associates do the same within the team.
- Interviews and hires management, hourly and/or GSA/GSR associates with the appropriate skills to meet the business needs of the GSO.
- Models desired behavior through participation in client-Marriott activity (e.g., sales calls and customer events).
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the appropriate performance process and holds staff accountable for successful performance; coaches by providing specific feedback to improve performance. Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Uses all available on the job training tools for associates; implements and manages training initiatives and conducts training when appropriate; ensures self and direct report managers attend appropriate core training classes.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Builds credibility with others and encourages strong working relationships.
Creates a work environment in which others feel comfortable sharing thoughts and feedback.
Shows awareness of how own behavior impacts others and the work environment.
Encourages others to work together.
Models and empowers others to anticipate and respond to customer/stakeholder preferences and feedback.
Clearly explains policies in ways that create strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
Monitors customer/stakeholder satisfaction and takes appropriate action.
Resolves customer/stakeholder issues and concerns raised by others.
Creates an environment where everyone is valued and included.
Models and coaches others on representing the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
Acts when others are treated unfairly or are not valued and respected for their unique skills.
Looks for and uses ideas and opinions from diverse sources.
Attracts, develops, and retains a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
Gives all associates the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
Organizes activities that promote inclusion.
Maintains an awareness of changing customer/stakeholder and associate characteristics.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
Ensures the right jobs are in place to do the work.
Looks for ways to better organize work and assign tasks.
Continuously improves work processes.
Brings together the appropriate mix of associate knowledge and skills to do the job.
Models and coaches team on scope of decisionmaking authority.
Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate with team.
Reinforces an environment that supports feedback and ongoing development.
Models expectations for desired/required acceptable behavior, knowledge, and skill levels.
Develops direct reports by identifying needs and partnering on developmental plans.
Supports recruitment efforts and builds relationships to attract top talent.
Models and coaches others on making effective hiring decisions using available tools and processes.
Ensures successful onboarding of new talent.
Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
Communicates to others why change is happening and how it impacts their work.
Models flexibility when managing multiple demands and changing priorities.
Provides resources that help others deal with change and challenges.
Adjusts team and own priorities when experiencing change or challenges.
Determines how change impacts stakeholders and communicates concerns to leadership.
Communication and Professional Demeanor
Clearly presents complex information using different methods.
Adapts communication style based on the audience.
Demonstrates active listening to ensure understanding.
Models and coaches others on appropriately interpreting verbal and nonverbal behavior.
Models and coaches others on displaying professionalism and gaining respect from others.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Identifies issues and makes suggestions to solve complex problems affecting daily work.
Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts.
Looks for and shares information with others before making a decision.
Models and coaches others on identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions.
Involves and gains agreement from others when making key decisions.
Makes complex decisions and works with others to implement solutions in reasonable amount of time.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
Sets own career goals and identifies developmental areas for self and others.
Uses resources and challenging assignments to improve performance of self and others.
Gathers, shares, and uses information about industry and discipline trends and best practices.
Budgets for training to support associate development, as applicable.
Coaches and holds others accountable for professional growth.
Ensures others understand how their work impacts property and team performance.
Coaches others on the drivers of performance and their impact on key business and property metrics.
Shows an understanding of how different customer/stakeholder groups have different revenue potential.
Identifies innovative ways to improve, productivity, customer/stakeholder satisfaction, and profitability.
Maintains advanced technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others.
Models and promotes the appropriate use of facilities, equipment, and materials to perform the job.
Demonstrates and shares expertise in policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
Manages and completes complex technical assignments and coaches others on solving advanced technical issues.
Demonstrates and reinforces technical standards and processes to support work requirements.
Building and Contributing to Teams
Promotes teamwork by explaining how each associate supports shared goals.
Builds commitment to team goals by explaining how they support department and property success.
Works with team members to solve issues and make decisions that impact them.
Manages disagreements among team members.
Recognizes department, team, and individual achievements.
Driving for Results
Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
Makes sure others understand performance expectations.
Sets and tracks goal progress for self and others.
Monitors the work of others to ensure it is completed on time and meets expectations.
Breaks down barriers so team members can accomplish their work.
Planning and Organizing
Prioritizes group activities based on importance, urgency, and impact to goals.
Manages team workload and delegates assignments appropriately.
Ensures team members have the equipment, materials, and other resources needed to accomplish their work.
Avoids conflicts when setting project timelines and communicates key milestones and deadlines to others.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Job: Sales and Marketing
Requisition ID: 170022MU