Marriott Director of Culinary in Bangkok, Thailand
Job Number 18001XQ7
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location The St. Regis Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand VIEW ON MAP
Brand St. Regis Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
You were always one of those curious kids who opened every cabinet, peeked behind every door, and never ceased to ask "why" when given an explanation. Today, you bring your personal style to every experience. You live life to discover. You are passionate about your neighborhood, always looking to explore the places one wouldn’t find in a travel guide. If this sounds like you, you’re in the right place. You’ve got authentic style, natural curiosity and a warm way with people. Renaissance is not just a place to spend the night, it's a place to discover, a place in the world with style like yours. That’s why we’re not just looking for anyone. We’re looking for someone like you.
Oversee the entire culinary operation within the Hotel including food production, procurement, stewarding and food safety standards. Ensuring that our guests receive an experience that upholds are brand values. Ensure effective menu engineering and sourcing to maximize food revenue whilst controlling expenses.
In addition, work closely with the Director of Food & Beverage, Sales and Marketing teams to create unique and attractive promotions within the F&B venues. The Director of Culinary will be required to conduct their duties in a courteous, safe and efficient manner, in accordance with the hotel’s policies and procedures, ensuring that a high level of service is maintained.
Education and Experience
• Minimum 5 years experience in Director of Culinary or Executive Chef overseeing culinary operations including extensive banqueting
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing luxurious guest experiences
• Ability to develop and maintain Culinary department goals
• Understanding of market dynamics, enterprise level objectives and important aspects of the company’s business
• Possess strong leadership attributes and ability to make effective decisions
Skills and Knowledge
• Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Management of Financial Resources - Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
• Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
• Applied Business Knowledge - Understanding market dynamics, enterprise level objectives and important aspects of the company’s business to accurately diagnose strengths and weaknesses, anticipate opportunities and risks, identify issues, and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
• Management of Material Resources - Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing and Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Sets expectations and holds Culinary leadership team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
• Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how culinary is performing against budget.
• Makes recommendations for CAPEX funding of culinary equipment and renovations in accordance with brand business strategy.
• Works with culinary leadership team to determine areas of concern and develops strategies to improve the department’s financial performance.
• Establishes challenging, realistic and obtainable goals to guide operation and performance.
• Strives to improve service performance.
Developing and Maintaining Budgets
• Develops and manages culinary budget.
• Monitors the department’s actual and projected sales to ensure revenue goals are met or exceeded and opportunities are identified and addressed.
• Focuses on maintaining profit margins without compromising guest or employee satisfaction.
Leading Culinary Team
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Develops means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
• Identifies opportunities to increase profits and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
• Ensures that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of kitchen(e.g., pre-meal briefings, staff meetings, culinary team).
• Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with direct reports and entire culinary team. Ensures direct reports do the same for their team.
• Develops a culinary operating strategy that is aligned with the brand’s business strategy and leads its execution.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Stays aware of market trends and introduces new food products to meet or exceed customer expectations, generate increased revenue and ensure a competitive position in the market.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Reviews findings from comment cards and guest satisfaction results with F& B team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
• Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent guest service.
• Estimates cost and benefit ratio, maintaining balance between profit and service satisfaction.
• Shares plans to take corrective action based on comment cards and guest satisfaction results with property leadership.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Coaches and supports culinary leadership team to effectively manage wages, food cost and controllable expenses (e.g., restaurant supplies, uniforms, etc.).
• Hires culinary leadership team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
• Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for successful performance.
• Ensures that expectations and objectives are clearly communicated to subordinates; subordinates are also open to raise questions and/or concerns.
• Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Coaches team by providing specific feedback to improve performance.
• Informs and/or update the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption in order to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
• Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.